Share/Save/Bookmark

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Easy Physical Fitness Tips for Life-long Health 86


We all struggle with body image. I know that there will be days, even after I’ve reached my weight-loss goal, (I'm not there yet) when body image issues will STILL get the best of me. And I’m sure many of you, dear Shape Up! readers, feel the same way. So what can we do about it? I recently stumbled on a great list of tips from the National Eating Disorders Association that was seriously helpful. Here are the three that resonated the most for me:
1. "I will spend less and less time in front of mirrors--especially when they are making me feel uncomfortable and self-conscious about my body."
2. "I will list 5-10 good qualities that I have, such as understanding, intelligence, or creativity. I will repeat these to myself whenever I start to feel bad about my body."
3. "I will surround myself with people and things that make me feel good about myself and my abilities. When I am around people and things that support me and make me feel good, (That’s what I have you guys for!) I will be less likely to base my self-esteem on the way my body looks." (I guess the flipside of that is to not hang around with people who make me feel horrible about myself, right? (I already knew that, but it's a good reminder!)

What do you think about this body image advice? Is there one tip that resonates more with you than the others? I for one, spend WAY too much time in front of the mirror: It's just too easy to stand there and pick out my every imperfection, so I’m scaling back. How about you? Would listing some of your good qualities be helpful? Do you already surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself? And do you have any great body image advice of your own? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment